Due Week 7
Weekly Project — "Slot Machine"
Readings D — "Typography re: Technology"
Read the suggested readings for Project 1. CSS Typeface:
- Tauba Auerbach, “P-E-R-S-E-V-E-R-E” (2017)
- Donald Knuth, “The Concept of a Meta-Font” (1982)
- Paul Chan, FAQ on Alternumerics (2001)
Next class, we will have a recorded conversation about them. In preparation, create at least one reading discussion question and also write a paragraph response. Email me your question before next class. Put your paragraph response on "reading-response-d.html" and remember to link it to your class homepage.
Starter conversation questions:
- Do you have any daily practice? Why did it begin?
- Which aspects of creative practice can be automated?
- What will typefaces / fonts be like 50 years from now? 100 years?
- How can randomization be meaningful?
- What are useful approaches for an artist / designer / cultural practitioner in approaching endless potential variations?